Posted on February 4, 2013

Helpful Tax-Time Resources

It’s tax season, and the IRS has provided many resources for taxpayers. Keep reading to find out where you can get IRS forms and publications, how to get copies of your tax return, how to prepare your taxes for free and more.

1. How to get IRS forms and publications

The IRS provides free tax forms and publications on a wide variety of topics, from tax credits for individuals to a tax guide for small businesses. Here are four easy ways to obtain tax forms and publications from the IRS:

* On the internet. You can get IRS forms and instructions quickly and easily by visiting the IRS website. They often appear online before they are available on paper. To view and download tax products, visit the Forms & Pubs section of the IRS site.
* By phone. Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time to order current or prior year forms and instructions or IRS publications. Hours of service in Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific Time. You will receive your order by mail, usually within 7 to 10 days.
* In an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers. There are Taxpayer Assistance Centers located across the country where you can pick up many IRS forms and publications. IRS offices also offer face-to-face help for taxpayers who want personal tax assistance. Click to find the Center nearest to you.
* In your community. Many libraries and post offices offer free tax forms during the tax filing season. Some libraries also have copies of commonly requested IRS publications.

2. Get copies of your tax return and tax account information online

You can now order your tax return or account transcript online. Learn more.

3. Prepare your taxes for free

For decades, millions of taxpayers have visited Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax Counseling for the Elderly locations to get their taxes prepared for free by IRS-certified volunteers. Learn more.

4. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when applying for student financial aid

Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal student aid is easier than ever! Submitting the FAFSA is free, and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college or career schools. Learn more.

5. Remember to include Form 1099-G when you file your taxes

If you received certain government payments in 2012, you should receive a Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments, reporting what you’ve been paid. Learn more.

6. Adopt a child in 2012? You may be eligible for the Adoption Tax Credit

If you adopted an eligible child in 2012, you may be able to claim the adoption credit on your federal tax return. Learn more.

Source: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS)