The number #1 thing that organizations get wrong about onboarding is that human resources and frontline managers can get bogged down with administrative tasks that take them away from focusing on the more important matters. Sixty percent of 1,030 human resources and non-HR U.S. business leaders said that HR spends more time performing administrative and maintenance tasks than strategic tasks.
Onboarding can quickly and easily become nothing more than managing administrative details that, while important, are not the kinds of things that make employees stay and be productive.
For example, if you’re not automating onboarding with software, this can happen to the new hire as well as HR:
- Days spent in an office filling out paperwork versus meeting the team and spending time learning their role
- Paperwork creating inefficiencies
- Time spent tracking down information
- Re-keying information into multiple systems
- Confusing first impression of the new organization because there’s no coherent look, tone, and feel to the process
Bottom line, managers and HR shouldn’t get caught up in the administrative details. As much as possible, everything with new hire onboarding that can be automated should be automated so everyone can focus on the crucial, important business at hand instead of tasks. Ideally, new team members can enjoy their new hire experience by having paperwork and necessary training completed before their official start date.
Problem: Manual paperwork
Solution: Kiss paper onboarding good-bye. HR administrators don’t have the time, or enough filing cabinets, to keep up with new hire paperwork. Investing in an onboarding software tool to keep track of which documents are complete is key. Look for a tool that:
- Streamlines workflows and eliminates paperwork inefficiencies.
- Reduces time spent tracking down information.
- Is unified and eliminates the need to re-key information into multiple systems.
Problem: Death by 1,000 questions
Solution: Empower employees from day-one to easily find answers to their own questions. Make sure your new employee onboarding platform:
- Provides easy-to-use, intuitive, wizard-based applications that guide employees through the onboarding process, answering questions along the way.
- Helps ensure accurate completion of all new hire paperwork.
Problem: Need new hires to hit the ground running
Solution: Don’t wait until their first day to build a solid employee engagement foundation. Ensure your onboarding system follows best practices and engages employees early – before their first day – with company information, handbooks and other policies to help them feel prepared and engaged right away.
Problem: Multiple, disparate HR databases
Solution: A single, integrated single system of record. No one has time to enter new hire information into multiple databases. That’s an inefficient and error-prone process. Make sure your onboarding solution is:
- An efficient and intuitive system of record for new hires.
- Integrated to ensure the utmost compliance and workflows to prevent redundant administrative work.
New Employee Onboarding Solutions
Paycor’s Onboarding software allows employers to connect with new hires before they join the organization, increasing their engagement and impacting your bottom line. Because our Onboarding tool is electronic, it removes the administrative burden from employers who spend the majority of their time tracking down and organizing paperwork and then manually entering new hire information into payroll. Administrators can get a head start on the new hire process by enabling new employees to complete personal, contact, tax and banking information prior to their start date. Important documents like company handbooks, non-compete clauses and other policies can be reviewed an acknowledge before the employee steps foot in your facility, allowing you to focus more on training and learning and less on filling out forms.
Check out this short two-minute video on Paycor’s Onboarding to learn how you can improve efficiency and engagement at your organization.